Day one of the 21st Northern Junior Championship presented by Junior Golf Hub concluded on Tuesday afternoon at New Haven Country Club, with cool and breezy conditions providing a stern challenge for this elite field of competitors. The 36-hole stroke play championship is being contested July 31 – August 2 and features players from 28 different states and countries.
In the Girls Championship, Jordan Levitt of Bedford, New York shot the only under-par round of the day, firing a one-under par 70 to take the lead into the final round. Levitt played steady all day, making only two bogies and finishing with a closing birdie to take the outright lead. A trio of players – Katie Ha, Angelina Huang, and Zi Ge Wang – all sit just one stroke back at even-par 71.
In the Boys Championship, Benjamin Zeiler of Del Mar, California, played the final nine holes in 2-under par to shoot 68 and grab the overnight lead. Similarly, four players sit just one stroke back, as Alex Elia, North Chery, James Earle and Wesley Hu, all shot rounds of one under-par 69.
The final round of the 2023 Northern Junior Championship begins tomorrow at 7:00am, with the leaders teeing off at 12:30 PM and 1:20 PM, respectively. Live hole-by-hole scoring will be available at NorthernJunior.com with frequent updates on Instagram (@NorthernJunior).
Things to Know
- The Wind: The stiff north wind on day one proved to be a challenge, with a field scoring average of 75.2. Getting out of the gate was difficult, with holes #1 and 2 playing amongst the top-3 most challenging holes on the day.
- Race to the Finish: With a similar wind tomorrow, the crowd surrounding the 18th green could see some fireworks from the leaders. The reachable par-5 will be playing downwind to a back-right hole location, making it a prime eagle opportunity for those chasing the trophy.
- Tightly Packed: Both championships have a tightly packed leaderboard. In the Girls Championship, 14 players are within 5 shots of lead, and in the Boys Championship, 32 players are within 5 shots of the lead.
Weather Forecast: Clear skies are expected overnight on Tuesday, followed by mostly sunny skies throughout the day on Wednesday. Temperatures will dip into the low 50’s overnight and rise into the high 70’s, with a light breeze from the north eventually shifting to the west around 1:00 p.m. Winds are expected to be slightly less than Tuesday, with 7-10 mph winds gusting to 13 mph when the leaders turn to the final nine.
About the Tournament: The Northern Junior Championship is a nationally ranked junior golf tournament that was created in order to provide the highest level of competition for top junior players. The 36-hole stroke play event is contested over two days at New Haven Country Club in Hamden, Connecticut and is open to amateur boys and girls under the age of 19. The field of 111 players consists of 69 Boys Competitors and 42 Girls Competitors, and 28 states and countries are being represented.
Schedule of Events:
Wednesday, August 2 – Final Round of Stroke Play
7:00 a.m. – 1:10 p.m. – Starting Times (Players paired by score, with leaders going off last)
6:00 p.m. – Awards Ceremony and Trophy Presentation
Social Media: In addition to full championship coverage on our website at NorthernJunior.com, players and spectators can join the conversation using the hashtag #NorthernJunior.
– Like Us on Facebook at Facebook.com/NorthernJunior
– Follow us on Instagram @NorthernJunior